Monday, September 24, 2007

Inconsiderate People

People!

I used to get real angry with inconsiderate people. Now that I'm older and travel more often, and therefore deal with them on a daily basis, I am frankly quite used to them.

I was typing away on my computer when unexpected conversations started between my next-cubicle neighbours. My neighbour on the left is called Mdm P (I shan't say the real name) and the one behind me is called... ''nameless guy'' (he hasn't spoken a word to me in the four weeks that I've been here). Mdm P asked ''nameless guy'' to help her put a piece of cardboard at the air-son duct to block the ''freezing'' air-con. Like that will honestly help, I mean, the cardboard is smaller and air will surely escape! Anyway, as ''nameless guy'' was on a stool helping her put the useless cardboard up, she said 'put the cardboard nearer to my side, I'm very cold'. True, the air-con is very cold, to the point where my fingers turn blue everyday, but you're not the only person that is cold! I did not like her from the beginning. On my 1st or 2nd week, she started telling me about some office politics. Being in band last time, I knew not to tell the newbies about past politics, because it would harm their perception of others, when they should be able to judge other people for themselves. She also puposely boards up her cubicle with big black boards, which essentially cuts her off from contact with other people. I'm usually quite good at judging people, and I knew she was not a very sincere person since the first time she started talking about politics. I'm not gonna bother about her, because I seriously do not like insincere people and I will not waste my time getting to know them.

My mother always stressed that manners are very important, especially towards your elders. Since I am the youngest in my generation of my family, I have been practising manners since I could remember (although there was a period during damn puberty when I did not practise manners!). One of the first things you should do when you first meet someone is to get their name right and remember it. If that person is much older than you, especially in a working environment, you should always use term like 'Miss', 'Mrs', 'Mr', etc, before you say their actual name. When I came in here, before all my hopes were crushed, I made an effort to remember their names. Now, you think that it would be kinda easy to remember my name, since they already knew each other and they just had to remember one more. Even though my name is sort of unique, it can't be that hard to remember! Anyway, no one her seems to practice common manners. They always start talking to you with exactly what they want to say, instead of calling you by your name first. I can bet you, the pathetic amount of people reading this blog, that no one in my office, except maaaaybe 3 (which is not even in my room), knows my name. I'm not sure if my supervisor even knows my name! I already planned that on the last day, before I leave this prison for good, that I intend to ask, maybe videotape, my supervisor what my name is! Muahahahaha... Sweet revenge!

If I had 50 cents for every inconsiderate act I witness everyday, I would make an extra at least $5 everyday!

Be nice, people! You could really make someone's day and you would be surprised if it makes you feel better too! :)

K.T.

No comments: